Thursday, October 11, 2007

Posting, the first; or "Why, oh gods why, I'm on fire, why."

I love these blog thingies, you kids and your interweb-tubes are an amazing tool. No, I don't mean you're tools, and no, I'm not serious. Seriously. Not serious.

Wasn't that fun? Maybe I should start making sense.

I've been reading a lot of MMO blogs lately, more specifically some WoW blogs in the last couple of days, and my penchant for writing about things no one should really concern themselves with has led me to chronicle my own (and my wife's) trek through the lovely world of Azeroth and beyond. But first, a flashback to a happier time~

The year: 2006. The day: Valentine's Day. The salmon? A bit overdone, but still tasty. The bill? Yes, I'll take the bill now. No thank you, we don't want any dessert, just some coffee.

Where was I? Oh yes, my wife and I started playing the good ol' WoW as a jointly purchased valentine's day gift last year, rolling up a Night Elf Hunter (her) and Druid (me, but who else was left anyway?) and proceeding to churn through the 1-60 content in roughly 5 months. We made plenty of friends in the game, joined a guild or two, and eventually transitioned into the raiding endgame with a fairly energetic guild of 200. Then we (for lack of knowing any better) wrung the game dry of any enjoyment through the raid machine known as Molten Core, conquering Ragnaros and Onyxia and then allowing BWL to run amock with our entrails while we handed in money to repair armor. We left in October, before The Burning Crusade ever showed up.

Skip ahead to two weeks ago, when I, for lack of anything better to do at that particular moment, installed the BC client that was sneakily mailed to me in a DVD case from Blizzard with a note attached: "Dude, you want a hit? I'll give you a free 10 day, no holds barred trial...where you can actually trade, auction, and party (not like that weak original trial crap, that guy gets his stuff from a dumpster)." When the long-winded metaphor cleared, the wife and I were tooling around in Eversong Wood; I a paladin with longings for the priesthood, and she a fire-wielding beautiful pyromaniac that could set you ablaze at 500 yards. At least, it seems that way, the range on her fireballs appears to extend further than I can see sometimes.

"What mob? All I saw was you throwing molten pain off into the nether"
*Rattlecage Skeleton dies, you gain 47 experience points*
"...oh yea? Well...I get a free horse...later..."

So long story told, the short version (haha, you had to read this far to find it) is that I've got a level 20 Blood Elf Paladin, a level 8 BE Priest, and she has a 20 BE mage, and we're tackling the game again from the horde side. What follows will basically chronicle our adventures in a slightly sarcastic tone, with a lot of parenthetical (and pathetic...al) remarks to make me feel like I'm amusing. I'm sure some element of all this will turn out to be an analysis of the game in its current state, and I might use the term "the good old days" once or twice. What I'm really interested in is whether or not a pairing of mage and priest is at all viable as a levelling duo, seeing as how I've already played tank with my paladin in more than one occasion. Though it's still a trial to pull aggro away from the mobile flamethrower. My DPS is jealous.

No comments: